Pages

Thursday 21 February 2019

Creative Writing Reflection

For the past week or so we have been doing tasks to do with creative writing, that being the Haiku, Slam Poetry, Sensory Language, Metaphors and Similies, and Language Features blog posts. I have finally finished all of these and have nothing left to do but my reflection on all of this. As an avid reader and sometimes writer of fiction I really enjoy creative writing and the many different faces of it. 

What did I enjoy the most out of the tasks and why?

My favourite task was the Haiku and Sensory Language post challenges. 
I enjoyed the Haiku challenges because of the way it was set. I quite like writing small poems when I'm in the mood. Getting given a prompt and rules of how to do it just made me even more determined to do it the best I could. I love writing about scenes and describing the picture I have in my mind to others and then hearing how they envision what I write is a really amazing thing to see. The difference between the two scenes an author has painted and how two different people see that place is astounding to see. To think that one person can see one thing one way and someone else can see it another will always be the best thing about reading and writing to me.
I appreciated writing using sensory language because it had rules, someone else may tell you that writing shouldn't have any rules and I would usually agree with that, but being able to write with rules and accomplishing that is astonishing because you have created something entirely new while staying within those rules at the same time. Creative writing is one of my favourite parts of my English classes and being able to create an entire business or restaurant or school for a single paragraph is enthralling to me. Because with every story you create something new, you create somewhere new and create someone the world has never seen before. 
Getting back to the topic and stopping my geeking out, Sensory Language and Haiku were my favourites.

What was my least favourite and why?

My least favourite was either Metaphors and Similies or Langauge Features, they both took me a while because of how slow they were and how boring they could be. Except, of course, writing the metaphors and similes, that was my favourite part of both of them.

Gotta love Uncle Rick
What did I learn

From these tasks, I have learnt about the art of subtle referencing others or things using allusion, like Rick Riordan's reference to John Green that I used in my language features blog I did - 

‘Bacchus scratched his stubbly chin. “Ah … yes. John Green.”

“Jason Grace”’
There was also anaphora, where you use repetition at the beginning or inside of the sentence to express a point -
My love will never go.
My love will never fade.
My love will never dissipate.
My love will never leave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.