Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2019

Uni-hock or Floor Hockey?

Image result for uni hockey stick
The Uni-Hock stick we use 
Over the week we have been learning about floor hockey in PE. Floor hockey, for those who don’t know or didn’t understand like I did, floor hockey is the same thing as Uni-hock. On Tuesday we were able to play games and drills to do assist with learning about how to handle the floor hockey sticks and pass between people properly. We worked on passing through gates to assist with our aim, we played stick in the mud to help with how we controlled the ball, we played other games as well to help with our management of the ball. 

On a scale of 1-10, rate yourself on how well you participated in the floor hockey lesson on Tuesday and why did you rate yourself that way? Give three reasons for your rating.

Image result for field hockey stick
A Hockey stick
I rate myself a nine as I participated to the best of my ability and as often as possible. I play hockey as my winter sport so I try to put in full effort so I can learn how to handle the ball with a stick better. I often try to get the teachers to do hockey in PE, as it is not done as often as other sports are practised in this subject. In our first drill we got separated into our classes and then the class in half, we each got a number, and then when the teacher called the number, we would run and try to score against the other half of the class. In the second we played stick in the mud, where each person had a ball, we each tried to knock the others ball away and if that ball got knocked out of the area we were in we were out. I found the exercises fun and encouraging to the unconfident people. My reasoning for my own score is simply that I called for the ball constantly when out in the 
open, played fair with others, even when they cheated or played dirty, 
and that I took loads off my teammates and volunteered my self to do 
drills instead of them at times.

What skills do you think you did well?

I believe my dribbling was well done, besides that, I struggled using the different 'hockey' sticks from my usual wooden one. When it comes to things such as shooting and passing, I had difficulty handling the stick and trapping the ball as it came towards me. I believe though, that I did try my best, even though I wasn't exactly the best player on the team.

What skills did you use to pass and dribble the ball?

  • Positioning my body, instead of trying to awkwardly hit the ball with the edge of the stick.
  • Controlling the ball, so I didn't accidentally hit it to the other team or into our own goal.
  • Holding the stick with two hands, holding a hockey stick with one hand risks losing control, and, therefore, the ball.
What do you think you need to improve in future lessons?

Accuracy. I will improve upon this by focusing on how I position my body instead of my hockey stick, that can often be the problem with myself, as where you point your foot is the direction the ball goes in. I will also improve by slowing myself down so I can gain more control of the ball and focus more on shooting and dribbling instead of having to keep up with the ball or fall back just to go get it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.