Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2018

My Workshop Diary Of Making A Balancing Toy


Since the beginning of term 3, we have been making balancing toys. Now, the period of Metalwork is drawing to a close, even so, many of the students in our class have not succeeded in completing the toy. As you can see, I have not either. Even though we had an extended amount of time, being an extra few hours per week, only around four or five of us finished, no one finishing in time for the original deadline. All that I would have had left to do was finish cleaning my work, weld the last parts, bend the wire into the correct shape and then weld that, then I would have had to clean it again and then spray painted.


Did I finish? If not, why not?

I was not able to finish my project. I believe this is due to the number of days off, short days and the week I had sick. During these days off and short days, however, I was not able to continue with working on the balancing toy.


What did I enjoy?

I enjoyed the subject but often found it pressuring and a little bit stressful, still the subject was fun and I learnt quite a bit about how much work actually goes into making these types of toys and projects. I also enjoyed working in a proper workshop like this one because the one we used during year seven and eight didn't have all the different types of machines and equipment that the school's workshop has.





What did I learn?

I learnt many things including how to change the drill bit on a drill using a chuck key, how welding works, the dangers of working in a metal workshop, the importance of warning signs and other signs alike, there are also many other things I learnt.


What was a challenge?


It was a challenge trying to learn where everything was and how to use it, also remembering the exact names of certain machines and how to work with them.

How did I overcome that challenge?

I overcame that challenge by asking others and asking them questions about how to work each of the machines.

Did I weld?

Yes, I got the opportunity to weld once, but I would have like to have the opportunity again.

What did I think of welding?

It was terrifying holding a torch blowing out the fire and having my hands so close to it. It was still fun using it though, having done it myself with only a small amount of help from my teacher.


What have I got better at?

I think I have gotten better with time management, because of not finishing, this has reminded of how I need to improve upon this. I also think I have gotten better with filing quicker using the draw file.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.